Post: Endarasha dormitory fire victims to be laid to rest Wednesday

The special committee that was formed to coordinate the management of the Hillside Endarasha Academy tragedy has set September 25 (Wednesday next week) as the burial date for the 21 victims who died in the dormitory fire.

Speaking on Friday evening after meeting with the representatives of the parents of the victims and members of the Hillside Academy Fire Disaster Management Committee, acting Central Region Commissioner, Pius Murugu, said that the burials will take place immediately after the memorial service.

The interdenominational service will be held on Wednesday next week at the Mweiga Stadium. According to Murugu, the service will commence at 8:30 am and is scheduled to end at 11 am to allow the bereaved families to proceed with the burial of their kin.

For families that will not be able to conduct burial on Wednesday due to distance or time constraints, the committee reassured them that the Naro Moru funeral home would continue preserving the remains of their kin.

‘We have agreed that the majority
of parents will be able to bury the victims on the same day. That is why we have reduced the length of the service. By 11 am we should have finished with the memorial so that we release the bodies to the respective parents and relatives,’ said Murugu.

‘By Monday we shall be able to know which families will be able to bury their kin on Wednesday. The clergy have reduced time so that the families can reach home in good time to bury the people the same day,’ he added.

Earlier at the Naro Moru funeral home, some of the families received the DNA results and got a chance to view the remains of their kin. The exercise started on Thursday after the Chief Government Pathologist, Dr. Johansen Odour, confirmed that the victims had been positively matched to their parents through DNA.

He also said that the Directorate of Criminal Investigations, together with the Red Cross, had started handing over results to the bereaved parents.

In his address on Friday, Murugu thanked the Directorate of Criminal Investigations (DC
I) for expediting the DNA process that had previously been estimated to take at least a month. Regarding investigations into the fire, the acting RC said that the DCI were conducting their investigations, which will unearth what transpired on the night of September 5.

‘The DCI have completed the process of handing the results to the parents and identifying the victims. At the moment, the victims have been identified by name, and we thank the DCI for expediting the process,’ said the acting RC.

One of the representatives of the bereaved parents, Reverend Lincoln Muthigani, thanked the National government and the County government for supporting the parents during the tragedy. He also extended his appreciation to the Kenya Red Cross and other well-wishers who have been supporting them for the last two weeks.

‘We thank the National government through the RC and the County government through the governor because they have walked with us. They have supported us throughout this tragedy, and they have also involv
ed us in all the planning processes. We also appreciate all the agencies, the Red Cross, the counsellors, and those well-wishers who supported us in everything,’ said Rev. Muthigani.

On his part, Nyeri Governor Mutahi Kahiga, who is also the co-chair of the committee, said that modalities of how the school will be reopened will start immediately after all the 21 victims have been buried. Kahiga said that the committee would also expedite the school’s reopening to give ample time to Grade 6 learners to prepare for the Kenya Primary School Education Assessment.

He further reiterated the committee’s promise to bring the school back on its feet.

Kahiga noted that in addition to footing all burial and medical expenses, the government had pledged to facilitate learners whose personal effects and school supplies were destroyed to purchase new ones.

‘We have the other phase of about 143 pupils who must be resettled. The school also has to get off the ground. That is going to be the second phase when we finish wit
h this phase so that we are able to take care of the Grade 6 students who are doing the KPSEA so that they don’t get their school life interrupted,’ said Kahiga.

Source: Kenya News Agency

SOUEAST Showcases S08 DM at Egypt’s North Coast Roadshow

ALAMEIN, Egypt, Aug. 14, 2026 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) — Stretching from the vibrant Seashell North Coast to the exclusive Mountain View Ras El Hekma, Egypt’s North Coast is known as the “Pearl of the Mediterranean,” attracting visitors from around the world. As SOUEAST celebrates its first anniversary in the Egyptian market, the brand has kicked off […]

SOUEAST Showcases S08 DM at Egypt’s North Coast Roadshow

ALAMEIN, Egypt, Aug. 14, 2026 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) — Stretching from the vibrant Seashell North Coast to the exclusive Mountain View Ras El Hekma, Egypt’s North Coast is known as the “Pearl of the Mediterranean,” attracting visitors from around the world. As SOUEAST celebrates its first anniversary in the Egyptian market, the brand has kicked off […]

iHerb célèbre 30 ans à rendre la santé et le bien-être accessibles avec une grande opération promotionnelle mondiale

Cette campagne anniversaire propose d’importantes réductions sur plus de 600 marques, tandis qu’iHerb étend sa plateforme d’achat à 46 langues, reflet de la demande mondiale croissante pour les produits de santé et de bien-être IRVINE, Californie, 13 août 2026 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) — iHerb, l’un des principaux détaillants en ligne de vitamines, minéraux, compléments alimentaires et […]

Nominations to Key Positions Announced by the White House

Washington: Leslie Becera from Virginia has been nominated to serve as an Assistant Secretary of Transportation, while Justin Bytheway from Utah has been nominated to become Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary to the Kingdom of Tonga.

Accor…

Egg Medical annonce une nouvelle ère dans la sécurité en salle de fluoroscopie à la suite d’une déclaration de consensus conjointe

Tandis que les principales sociétés médicales demandent l’adoption obligatoire de dispositifs de protection contre les rayonnements (ERPD), le système EggNest® Complete s’impose comme la solution définitive de protection de tous les membres de l’équipe médicale MINNEAPOLIS, 23 juill. 2026 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) — Egg Medical, leader mondial dans le domaine de la radioprotection, a annoncé son […]